Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Contemplative Post


"It was the best of times,
it was the worst of times."
-A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens


     No truer words were ever spoken. When I was younger, I used to wonder how that phrase made any sense at all: I used to see it as a contradiction. Now, however, I've come to find it perfectly describes my life at the moment.
     I love being a teenager. It's awesome to be able to meet my friend for coffee, drive myself to the store if I need something, or babysit. I even have a part time job at a local bakery. Independence is totally great, and I don't know how I ever lived without it.
     At the same time, I hate being a teenager. All of these new options are fantastic, but sometimes, when I'm pulling out of the driveway, and I see my Mom standing in the doorway, waving, I just want to run back into her arms and cry. I miss being little, and being able to curl up in her or my Dad's lap when I'm upset or tired. Things now days are complicated; back then, life was so simple.
     I know that as I get older, I'll be ready for more and more responsibilities. Eventually, I'll meet the guy God has for me, and I'll be ready to get married, move out, and have a family. But for now, I just want a little independence, with my Mom and Dad back home waiting for me.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow,
for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Matthew 6:34 NIV


0 comments:

Post a Comment