Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dolce de Leche Cupcakes

  So, if you read the title and went "what?", don't feel bad.
  I had no clue what this was until a few days ago.
  Yes, I'd had it once before a long time ago, but I didn't know it's name, so it doesn't count.
  Anyway, dolce de leche is a thick caramel made from - get this - sweetened condensed milk! I know! I've come to learn that anything that contains sweetened condensed milk is going to be amazing! I love looking at the Eagle Brand website's recipes; they all look wonderful!
  So, my Mom follows this blog called Joy the Baker, and she posted a recipe for these cupcakes that had dolce de leche in the icing. Both of us immediatly wanted to try these, however we couldn't have 2 dozen cupcakes just lying around, so we decided to make them today for company.

  Oh.
  My.
  Goodness.

 That's all I have to say.
 Ok, well that's not all I have to say, but you know what I mean.


  These things were amazing!


  On the recipe, it said to buy the DDL (I'm just going to abbreviate it; it's a long name to type!), but that you could make it. So, since none of our supermarkets would even have DDL, we decided to go for it.
We took the paper off the can, opened it halfway, and put in a pan. We filled the pan with water almost up to the edge, and then just let it simmer for like 10 hours.*

        *As a side note, when you do this you might want to use a stainless steel pot, because where the can is metal, it leaves rust rings in the bottom of the pot. However, Barkeepers friend takes it off with a little elbow grease.

  Back to my story.
  We opened up the can, and dumped the now caramel color sweetened condensed milk into a container! I used a hand whisk to take the little lumps out and voila! DDL!



  Needless to say, these were a big hit! Also, she has a recipe for cookies with this stuff in between.

  Gasp!

  I know! That's next on our list of things to make.
  All I can say, is it's a good thing DDL takes that long to make; otherwise I'd be in trouble.
  Big trouble.

1 comments:

Julia said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Yum! Those look beyond delicious!

Post a Comment